These Fries are made with Chickpea Flour.
Beautifully Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, reminiscent of a mozzarella cheese stick meets polenta fries.
Vegan and Gluten Free, These are super flavorful, crunchy, and are especially addictive when served with the red dipping sauce, the perfect combination for these amazing little things.
For the Marinara Sauce:
- 1 Tbsp EVOO.
- 1 Celery stick, diced.
- 1 TSP Thyme, Dry.
- 1 TSP Basil, Dry.
- 1 Bay leaf.
- 1 Can of Plum tomatoes, cut and left in its sauce.
- 1 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar.
- 1 TBSP of Date Syrup.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper to taste.
For The Chickpea Filling:
- 1 Cup of Chickpea Flour.
- 1 TSP Turmeric, Ground.
- 1 TSP Sea Salt, Fine.
- 1 1/2 Cup of Water, luke warm.
- an additional 1 1/2 Cup of Water.
For the Almond Crumbs:
- 1 Cup Almonds, Ground.
- Zest of 1/2 Lemon.
- 1/2 TBSP Garlic Powder.
- 1 TBSP Oregano, Dry.
- 2 TSP Paprika.
- 1 TSP Sea Salt, Fine.
- 2 1/2 TBSP of Chickpea Flour.
- 4 TBSP of Water.
- Grease a 6 inch baking pan with Coconut oil or Olive oil, and set aside.
- Pre heat oven to 200 C and line another baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- For the marinara sauce, in a wide saucepan heat the olive oil to sweat the celery, dry thyme and bayleaf. Keep stirring for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the tomatoes with it’s sauce along with the apple cider vinegar and stir well to combine before adding the date syrup and keep on stirring.
- Reduce heat to low, add in the dried basil, and the seasoning give it a stir and leave to simmer for a half hour, stirring occasionally.
- Strain the tomato sauce to end up with a smooth marinara sauce with no clumps. set aside or set in the fridge.
- To make the chickpea filling, in a separate medium bowl mix the chickpea powder, turmeric and salt together, and slowly add the 1 1/2 cup of water while whisking.
- In a separate saucepan, bring the other 1 1/2 cup of water to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and add the chickpea turmeric and start whisking vigorously until thick and smooth. about 3 minutes.
- When done, pour into the prepared greased baking pan, and set aside to cool for about 45 – 50 minutes. upon cooling, the mixture will harden and will be ready to cut into desired shape.
- For the almond crust, process the almonds, garlic powder, zest, paprika, oregano, and salt and pulse until fine. transfer to a separate bowl and set aside.
- Slowly, Whisk the 4 TBSP of Water into the Chickpea flour until it forms a loose batter. set aside.
- After you finish waiting on the chickpea filling to harden, start cutting in into sticks. and one by one submerge the sticks in the batter and then dip it in the almond crumbs coating it completely. place on the parchment paper lined sheet.
- When all sticks are done, place pre heated oven and bake for 20 – 25 Minutes, until golden and crispy.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with the Marinara dipping sauce.