Jackfruit is a fruit that has the texture of a stringy, pulled meat but actually doesn’t taste anything like meat on its own.
Jackfruit is a flavor blank canvas; as it takes on the flavor of whatever flavors, spices and marinades you are using in any given recipe, making it incredibly versatile substitute for meat.
Now.. who wants Tacos?
- 2 Cans of Jackfruit in Brine. Rinsed & Drained.
- 1 1/2 Cups of Yellow Onion, Finely Chopped.
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced.
- 1 Jalapeño Pepper, Seeded, finely chopped.
- 2 1/2 TBS of Olive Oil.
- 1/2 Cup of your favorite Barbecue Sauce.
- 2 Tsp Ground Cumin.
- 2 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Tsp Grated Orange Zest ( Optional )
- 1 Pack of Soft Flour Tortillas
- 1 Ripe Avocado, Thinly sliced.
- 2 Radishes, thinly sliced.
- 1 TBS Cup Cilantro leaves, roughly chopped.
- 1/4 Cup shredded Red Cabbage.
- 1/4 Cup of Canned Corn.
- A few dollops of store bought Vegan Creme, Labneh or Yogurt.
- 1 Lime Cut into Wedges.
- Shred the Jackfruit by breaking the big parts apart using a fork into shredded pieces.
- In a large Sauce pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat before adding the onions.
- Cook the onions in the olive oil for about 5 – 6 minutes until translucent.
- When Onions are done, Add the garlic and jalapeño and cook for an additional 3 minutes or so, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the shredded Jackfruit to the pan and stir well to properly cover the jackfruit with the onion, garlic jalapeño mix.
- Add the barbecue sauce, and stir.
- Add the cumin, oregano, coriander, smoked paprika, and salt to the pan and stir to properly distribute the herbs and spices. Keep stirring for for about 8 minutes until the jackfruit is browned and crispy around the edges.
- Fold in the orange zest.
- Set the pan aside and start warming the soft shell tacos.
- One at a time, add a TBS of the Jackfruit mix to the center of each taco.
- Top with Avocado slices, radish, cilantro and cabbage, corn and cream.
- serve with lime wedges.
Have Fun & Enjoy!