The traditional Bakewell tart has a pastry base, with layers of jam or sweetened & spiced buttery fruit topped with toasted and glazed flaked almonds.
Here’s a better for you version, The mixed berries and almond flavors go well together and really is a treat to eat. guiltless and yet so satisfying.
Serve your Bakewell slices warm and a la mode with your favorite dairy free vegan vanilla ice cream.
- 2 Cups of Ground Almonds.
- 1/2 Cup of Buckwheat flour.
- 5 Tablespoons all Natural Organic Maple Syrup.
- 1/4 Cup of all natural Almond Butter.
- 2 Tbsp of Coconut Oil, melted.
- A pinch of Himalayan pink salt.
The Berry Filling:
- 2 Cups of Frozen Mixed Berries, Thawed.
- 2 Tbsp of Pure Maple Syrup.
For the Frangipane:
- 1 Cup of Ground Almonds.
- 2 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup.
- 2 Tbsp all natural Almond Butter.
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil, melted.
- 1/2 Cup of Flaked Almonds.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Line a 20cm square shallow baking tin with baking paper.
- To prepare the base; in a large bowl combine the ground almonds, the buckwheat flour, and the Himalayan pink salt, mix properly then stir in the rest of the base wet ingredients to form a sticky dough.
- Spoon the mixture carefully into the baking tin and press down evenly with the back of your mixing spoon.
- For the mixed berries filling; whizz the berries and the maple syrup in a blender for about 20 seconds, keeping some of the chunks in the berries.
- Pour the berries and maple syrup mixture on top of the base and spread it out evenly.
- for the Frangipane; in a large bowl, mix together all ingredients except for the flaked almonds.
- Add a teaspoon at a time of the mixture on top of the berry filling mixture, then gently spread it evenly across the cherry layer. Be mindful not to disrupt it too much.
- Sprinkle the flaked almonds evenly on top.
- Place the baking tin in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Broil on high for a couple of seconds to toast the flaked almonds until they are golden.
- Once done, leave to cool, then cut in slices.
- Serve warm and save the left overs in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days. Or in a freezer for up to 2 months.