This vegan stuffed butternut squash recipe is a shining example of a healthy vibrant satisfying dish packed with all the plant based ingredients for wholesome goodness!
for the Butternut Squash:
- 4 Small Butternut Squash pieces, cut in half.
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil.
- Sea Salt and ground black pepper to taste
For the Mushroom & Spinach Filling:
- 1 Large Onion, roughly chopped.
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced.
- 2 Red bell peppers, diced.
- 3 Cups of button Mushrooms, finely chopped.
- 2 Handfuls of Spinach
- 6 pieces of Sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped.
- 4 Tbsp of pine nuts, toasted.
- 4 Tbsp of sunflower seeds, toasted.
- 1 Tbsp Tamari
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Worcester sauce
- 1 Tsp sea salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- 1 Tbsp of Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Thyme
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- De-seed the squashes
- Score the flesh diagonally
- Place the butternut squashes on baking trays and brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake in oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until tender from the inside and caramelized on the outside.
- Meanwhile, start preparing the mushroom spinach filling by adding the chopped onion and oil in a pan and fry gently on low heat, until soft and brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and continue frying for about a minute more.
- Next add the peppers and mushrooms and cook for around 7 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the spinach and sun-dried tomatoes and cook until wilted.
- Add the toasted pine nuts and sunflower seeds and the tamarin, yeast, Worcester, Maple Thyme and salt and pepper in to the pan , and stir to combine. set aside.
- Load the mushroom and spinach filling into the cavities of the butter squash halves. top with fresh thyme and sprinkle with more nuts before topping it off with a final drizzle of olive oil .
Serve & Enjoy!