Caramelised Onions and stewed dates leads a sweet taste to this otherwise Savory recipe.
The slow cooked lamb is then shredded and enjoyed wrapped in a whole grain tortilla with a cooling lemon yogurt mix and crunchy pine nuts, serve along side your favorite green salad for an amazing meal.
- 2 Kg Lamb, in fillet chunks
- 4 Large Red Onions, Sliced
- 1 Garlic Clove, Grated
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup of Dates, Pitted & Diced
- 1/2 Tsp Saffron, Dissolved in 1/4 Cup of Rose Water
- 1 additional Large Onion, Chopped
- 2 Chicken Stock flavoring Cubes
- 1 Tbsp Emirati Ibzar
- 3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tbsp Date Syrup or 1 Tbsp of Mantra’s Date Paste.
- Juice of 1/2 a Large Lemon
- 1 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt, Non Fat
- 1/4 Cup Pine Nuts, Toasted
- 4 – 5 Whole Wheat Tortilla bread, Charred on a griddle
- In a large Saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp of Oil, Add the Lamb chunks and cook on high heat until all sides of the lamb chunks are golden brown.
- Add the 1 Chopped Onion, Grated Garlic and Ibzar, Mix to combine well.
- Add in the Chicken stock cubes with two cubs of hot water.
- Give it one good mic and cover the pan with a lid. Cook on very low heat for one hour.
- Add in the Saffron rose water mixture to the meat and continue cooking for about 10 minutes more.
- While the meat is cooking, heat the remaining oil and cook in the sliced onions until its softened.
- Add in the ground cinnamon, dates, and date syrup, keep stirring for 10 minutes until onions are caramelized
- When meat is done cooking, add in the caramelized onion date mix, cover sauce pan again and keep cooking until sauce is reduced.
- While still in pot, start shredding the meat with a fork. Take off the heat and set aside.
- Combine the lemon juice with the greek yogurt, mix well and set aside.
- Prepare the tortilla bread and start assembling
- Spread the onion meat mixture on the tortilla wraps , then drizzle the yogurt mixture on top. Sprinkle with some pine nuts and serve immediately.