Ever Tried making your own Bagels at home? It’s easier than you think.
Savory and delicious, Crusty on the outside and soft on the inside. Can be enjoyed for Breakfast, lunch or dinner. Whole wheat lends a healthy spin on the regular white bagel.
For The Bagel Dough:
- 1 1/4 Cups of Water
- 4 1/2 Cups of Whole Wheat Flour
- 3 Tablespoons of Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp Instant Yeast
- 4 Quarts Water
- 1 Cup Honey ( Optional )
The Toppings ( Optional ):
- 2 Tsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 Tsp Nigella seeds
- 2 Tsp Coarse Salt
- Preheat oven to 475 Degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with Parchment paper, set aside.
- Arrange small plates with sesame seeds, and Nigella seeds. set aside.
- Combine 1 1/4 cups of water, flour, sugar, 1 tsp of Salt, Oil, and yeast in a mixing bowl of a stand mixer.
- Mix on low speed, for about 8 to 10 minutes, until dough is properly formed.
- Test the dough by cutting off a walnut size piece, flour your fingers, and then stretch the dough. if it tears immediately, the dough needs more kneading (mixing ).
- When done preparing the dough, transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Let rise for 2 Hours.
- Punch the dough down, place it on a lightly floured surface, and use a knife to divide the dough into 6 pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a sausage shape about 6 inches long.
- Join the ends to form a perfect circle.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
- When done, let the bagels rest for 20 minutes.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add honey (If desired).
- Place two bagels at a time in the water pot to boil.
- Leave the bagels about 1 minute per side, boil until they rise to the surface of the pot.
- Remove the boiled bagels carefully from the water using a large spoon and place them on the prepared parchment lined baking sheet.
- Repeat with the rest of the bagels.
- Dip the tops of the wet bagels with the toppings of your choice.
- Arrange them, with seeds sides up on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt, if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven until the bagels begin to brown. about 15 to 20 minutes.