Non-Dairy nut milks have been growing in popularity in the past few years. i love making variations of the flavors and experimenting.
But i have found my favorite to be milk made from raw cashews. it has a thick creamy texture and more of a nutty earthy flavor than almonds, and works harmoniously in all kinds of recipes.
Here is my recipe of the creamiest dreamiest cashew milk. works wonderfully in recipes substituting cows and soy milk, great mixed in smoothies, coffee, or even enjoy chilled on its own.
- 1/2 cup of unsalted & unsweetened Raw Cashews
- 2 pitted California dates or Medjool dates.
- 2 1/2 cups of room temperature Water for soaking
- an additional 2 1/2 cups of room temperature Water to be used at blending.
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla flavoring.
- in a bowl, soak the cashew nuts in 2 1/2 cups of room temperature water.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth and place the bowl in the fridge to soak overnight.
- Come morning, drain the cashews from the water its been soaking in all night.
- In a blender, drop the cashews, and cover them in 2 1/2 cups of fresh room temperature water.
- Add the pitted dates, vanilla.
- Blend continuously until it starts looking like milk and ensure there are minimal lumps.
- Prepare a bowl and a cheese cloth.
- Pour the Cashew milk from the blender into the cheese cloth on top of the bowl.
- Properly Strain the cashew milk using the cheese cloth.
- Pour the cashew milk into a glass bottle and place in fridge until chilled.